Review of ptrace Yama ptrace_scope description

From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
Date: Sat Jun 25 2016 - 03:30:54 EST

Hi Kees,

So, last year, I added some documentation to ptrace(2) to describe
the Yama ptrace_scope file. I don't think I asked you for review
at the time, but in the light of other changes to the ptrace(2)
page, it occurred to me that it might be a good idea to ask you
to check the text below to see if anything is missing or could be
improved. Might you have a moment for that?

/proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
On systems with the Yama Linux Security Module (LSM) installed
(i.e., the kernel was configured with CONFIG_SECURITY_YAMA),
the /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope file (available since
Linux 3.4) can be used to restrict the ability to trace a
process with ptrace(2) (and thus also the ability to use tools
such as strace(1) and gdb(1)). The goal of such restrictions
is to prevent attack escalation whereby a compromised process
can ptrace-attach to other sensitive processes (e.g., a GPG
agent or an SSH session) owned by the user in order to gain
additional credentials and thus expand the scope of the attack.

More precisely, the Yama LSM limits two types of operations:

* Any operation that performs a ptrace access mode
PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH checkâfor example, ptrace()
PTRACE_ATTACH. (See the "Ptrace access mode checking" disâ
cussion above.)

* ptrace() PTRACE_TRACEME.

A process that has the CAP_SYS_PTRACE capability can update the
/proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope file with one of the followâ
ing values:

0 ("classic ptrace permissions")
No additional restrictions on operations that perform
PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH checks (beyond those imposed by the
commoncap and other LSMs).

The use of PTRACE_TRACEME is unchanged.

1 ("restricted ptrace") [default value]
When performing an operation that requires a
PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH check, the calling process must have
a predefined relationship with the target process. By
default, the predefined relationship is that the target
process must be a child of the caller.

A target process can employ the prctl(2) PR_SET_PTRACER
operation to declare a different PID that is allowed to
perform PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH operations on the target.
See the kernel source file Documentation/secuâ
rity/Yama.txt for further details.

The use of PTRACE_TRACEME is unchanged.

2 ("admin-only attach")
Only processes with the CAP_SYS_PTRACE capability may
perform PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH operations or trace children
that employ PTRACE_TRACEME.

3 ("no attach")
No process may perform PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH operations or
trace children that employ PTRACE_TRACEME.

Once this value has been written to the file, it cannot
be changed.

Cheers,

Michael

--