Re: [RFC 0/5] usb: chipidea: Add support for Tegra20 through Tegra124

From: Peter Chen
Date: Thu May 26 2016 - 23:21:51 EST

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 05:40:00PM +0200, Thierry Reding wrote:
> From: Thierry Reding <treding@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> All Tegra SoC generations from Tegra20 through Tegra124 have a ChipIdea
> USB device controller. This set of patches adds very rudimentary support
> for it to the existing ChipIdea driver and enables them on the set of
> boards that I could easily test on.
>
> I'm sending this out as RFC because I'm not sure yet how to merge this.
> While the driver seems to work fine (tested by exporting a USB driver or
> eMMC via the mass storage function) I don't yet understand how to make
> the driver switch between host and device modes dynamically. It might be
> useful to get this merged before, but I'd like to have some feedback on
> this, because doing so would mean that we need to use device mode on the
> devices where it's enabled and can't use the USBD port in host mode.

Chipidea driver supports many ways to switch between host and device
mode. It can support switching with/without disconnecting cable.

Most of cases need to disconnect cable (Micro-AB) to switch between
host and device mode, I just take this as an example:

Using ID pin which is at Micro-B receptacle on the board to determine host (ID = 0)
or device (ID = 1 )mode.

- ID pin connects to CPU, and ID interrupt and value can be get through
register OTGSC.
- ID pin does not connect to CPU, and there is a dedicated GPIO for ID.

--

Best Regards,
Peter Chen