Re: sched: tweak select_idle_sibling to look for idle threads

From: Mike Galbraith
Date: Tue Apr 12 2016 - 14:16:23 EST

On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 09:27 -0400, Chris Mason wrote:
> can always add the tunable to flip things on/off but I'd prefer that we
> find a good set of defaults, mostly so the FB production runtime is the
> common config instead of the special snowflake.

Yeah, generic has a much better chance to actually get merged, just
need a very solid chain on the lurking beast from hell. Hm...

The last time we went through this, the problem child was the waker of
many in your load. With tiny twiddle to wake_wide(), all was allegedly
well, or at least that's the impression I was left with. That leads me
to a pseudo-random thought: iff that waker of many is still at the
root, you could try using wake_wide() as the full search trigger, which
should shrink the attack surface available to the horror-from-hell
quite a lot. Just a thought.

-Mike