Re: [BUG] lib: zram lz4 compression/decompression still broken on big endian

From: Rui Salvaterra
Date: Wed Apr 06 2016 - 05:40:01 EST

<sergey.senozhatsky.work@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On (04/05/16 17:02), Rui Salvaterra wrote:
> [..]
>> > For some reason it never got merged, sorry, I don't remember why.
>> >
>> > Have you tested this patch? If so, can you resend it with your
>> > tested-by: line added to it?
>> >
>> > thanks,
>> >
>> > greg k-h
>>
>> Hi, Greg
>>

>> No, I haven't tested the patch at all. I want to do so, and fix if if
>> necessary, but I still need to learn how to (meaning, I need to watch
>> your "first kernel patch" presentation again). I'd love to get
>> involved in kernel development, and this seems to be a good
>> opportunity, if none of the kernel gods beat me to it (I may need a
>> month, but then again nobody complained about this bug in almost two
>> years).
>
> Hello Rui,
>
> may we please ask you to test the patch first? quite possible there
> is nothing to fix there; I've no access to mips h/w but the patch
> seems correct to me.
>
> LZ4_READ_LITTLEENDIAN_16 does get_unaligned_le16(), so
> LZ4_WRITE_LITTLEENDIAN_16 must do put_unaligned_le16() /* not put_unaligned() */
>
> -ss

Hi, Sergey

Besides ppc64, I have ppc32, x86 and x86_64 hardware readily
available. The only mips (74kc, also big endian) hardware I have
access to is my router, running OpenWrt, I can try to test it there
too, but it will be more complicated. Still, after reading the
existing code [1] more thoroughly, I can't see how Eunbong Song's
patch [2] would fix the ppc case (please correct me if I'm wrong,
which is highly likely, since my C preprocessor knowledge varies
between nonexistent to very superficial).

Now, LZ4_READ_LITTLEENDIAN_16 is unconditionally defined as:

#define LZ4_READ_LITTLEENDIAN_16(d, s, p)
(d = s - get_unaligned_le16(p))

As far as I can tell, and unlike ppc, mips doesn't define
HAVE_EFFICIENT_UNALIGNED_ACCESS, which means for mips case,
LZ4_WRITE_LITTLEENDIAN_16 will be defined as:

#define LZ4_WRITE_LITTLEENDIAN_16(p, v)
do {
put_unaligned(v, (u16 *)(p));
p += 2;
} while (0)

Whereas for ppc, which defines HAVE_EFFICIENT_UNALIGNED_ACCESS,
LZ4_WRITE_LITTLEENDIAN_16 will be defined as:

#define LZ4_WRITE_LITTLEENDIAN_16(p, v)
do {
A16(p) = v;
p += 2;
} while (0)

Consequentially, while I believe the patch will fix the mips case, I'm
not so sure about ppc (or any other big endian architecture with
efficient unaligned accesses).

Thanks,

Rui

[1] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/tree/lib/lz4/lz4defs.h?h=v4.4.6