Re: Possible ABA in use of llist.h llist_del_first() in tty_buffer and ib_rdma

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Fri Apr 01 2016 - 17:32:32 EST

----- On Mar 31, 2016, at 9:58 AM, Peter Hurley peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Mathieu,
>
> On 03/31/2016 02:40 AM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>> CCing LKML.
>>
>> ----- On Mar 31, 2016, at 5:39 AM, Mathieu Desnoyers
>> mathieu.desnoyers@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Code review (really: grepping the Linux kernel for
>>> llist_del_first) leads me to notice two possible ABA issues.
>>> The first one is in drivers/tty/tty_buffer.c, and is due to
>>> its use of llist_del_all and llist_del_first without locking
>>> since commit 809850b7a5 "tty: Use lockless flip buffer free list".
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, it appears to do so without respecting the
>>> locking requirements associated with llist_del_first.
>>>
>>> Quoting llist.h:
>>>
>>> " * If there are multiple producers and one consumer, llist_add can be
>>> * used in producers and llist_del_all or llist_del_first can be used
>>> * in the consumer.
>
> The use of llist_del_all in tty_buffer_free_all() is not concurrent with
> any other use of the free list; the comments for tty_buffer_free_all() even
> note the special condition.

This one looks OK indeed.

> Only the llist_del_first() and llist_add() usage are concurrent, and fwiw,
> that usage is single-producer/single-consumer.

I see that tty_buffer_request_room is an exported symbol, and no
documentation indicate that it should never be called concurrently
for a struct tty_port. Also, there does not appear to be any locking
within this function preventing concurrent execution on a struct tty_port.
Is there some documentation about this interface that I am missing ?

If it's possible to call llist_del_first() concurrently, then we can run
into ABA scenarios, even if llist_add() is protected from concurrent
llist_add() by a lock.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--