Re: Variant symlink filesystem

From: David Lang
Date: Fri Mar 11 2016 - 17:35:52 EST

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016, Cole wrote:

On 11 March 2016 at 22:24, Richard Weinberger <richard@xxxxxx> wrote:
Am 11.03.2016 um 21:22 schrieb Cole:
If I remember correctly, when we were testing the fuse version, we hard coded
the path to see if that solved the problem, and the difference between
the env lookup
code and the hard coded path was almost the same, but substantially slower than
the native file system.

And where exactly as the performance problem?

Anyway, if you submit your filesystem also provide a decent use case for it. :-)

Thank you, I will do so. One example as a use case could be to allow
for multiple
package repositories to exist on a single computer, all in different
locations, but with
a fixed path so as not to break the package manager, the correct
repository then is
selected based on ENV variable. That way each user could have their own packages
installed that would be separate from the system packages, and no
collisions would
occur.

why would this not be a case to use filesystem namespaces and bind mounts?

David Lang