Re: Kernel docs: muddying the waters a bit

From: Jonathan Corbet
Date: Tue Feb 16 2016 - 11:08:13 EST

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 10:25:49 +0200
Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> However I didn't think Sphinx could produce docbook, and a quick search
> doesn't convince me otherwise. Do you have some links to back this up?

Somehow I was really sure of it, but I'm not finding it now. There is an
extension out there, but it warns about being a "work in progress," so
I'm not sure we can count it.

Whether this is a show-stopper is indeed a good question. I doubt many
people wanted the DocBook for its own sake, it's a matter of where you
can go from there. But yes, it would be good to be sure on this point.

> Sphinx might offer a way to drop docproc through the extension
> mechanism, without resorting to the "separate-file approach". It might
> be a more sensible approach as a whole.

There's a certain elegance to it that I like, but it is an idea that
needs to actually be demonstrated. It could also come later on, though,
with the docproc or include mechanisms used for now.

Thanks,

jon