Re: livepatch/module: remove livepatch module notifier

From: Jessica Yu
Date: Mon Feb 15 2016 - 19:48:18 EST

+++ Jiri Kosina [16/02/16 00:42 +0100]:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016, Josh Poimboeuf wrote:

So I think the commit causing the regression is 5156dca34a3e, which
occurred in the 4.5 cycle, *not* in 4.4.

Agreed, by "4.4 regresion" I mean "regression compared to 4.4"; i.e.
regression that will become real issue once 4.5 is released.

Also it's my understanding that only the third patch ("remove ftrace
module notifier") is needed to fix the regression, and the other patches
are just general improvements. So if needed I think we can just rebase
that patch (which already has Rusty's ack I believe) and send it to
Linus now.

3/4 and 4/4 are be sufficient, yes (although I'd like to have this
confimed by Jessica, as she apparently already has a reliable testcase).

Yes, so Josh is right; technically only patch 3/4 "ftrace/module:
remove ftrace module notifier" is sufficient enough to fix the bug,
and patch 4/4 is just a natural extension of that change. Since I'm
going to be sending out another patchset anyway without the module.c
cleanups, I'll just keep them together.

Jessica

To be honest: I was skiing (and being offline) thursday - sunday :), so my
original plan was to get Ack from Rusty in the meantime, and then send
pull request to Linus once I am back on sunday evening.

This is not going to happen, so we have to start with plan B (which is
pushing just 3/4 and 4/4). Jessica, could you please send me updated (and
tested on your side) patchset with module.c cleanups omitted?

Steven, I'd appreciate if you could tell me whether your Ack to
"ftrace/module: remove ftrace module notifier" still holds even if
module.c changes are not happening.

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina