Re: [lkp] [gpio] 3c702e9987: kmsg.user_verbs:couldn't_register_device_number

From: Greg KH
Date: Sun Feb 14 2016 - 14:05:23 EST

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 06:56:20PM +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 06:42:11PM +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> >> Greg, heads-up on this... you'd know if this happened
> >> before.

> >> That's annoying...
> >> I notice that infiniband is using register_chrdev_region() at
> >> module_init() time, counting on device major 231 to be free.
> >
> > That device major is assigned to Infiniband, why shouldn't it be doing
> > this?
>
> I mean it's annoying that they collide. (Because of the details I
> write below, it's fine it's using the assigned number.
>
> > Why not just ask for a new reserved one? We could give you 261 and
> > everything should be fine, right?
>
> Sure I can post a patch for that, but it just mitigates the problem.
>
> The report point to the serious problem that on this system
> some dynamic allocations have already stolen major device
> numbers 232 thru 255, and 232 and 233 are also assigned.
>
> What do you think about a patch that makes fs/char_dev.c
> emit a warning when it starts assigning dynamic numbers
> 233 and below?

That's fine with me. I also think maybe we should look into just
switching all char major/minor allocation to be dynamic, starting at the
bottom and moving up. I think the only tools that might have an issue
with that is the raw device controller, but maybe that has been fixed up
in userspace, I haven't looked at that in many years.

I thought I had an old patch around somewhere that did that, will go
look for it this week and see what breaks with it enabled...

thanks,

greg k-h