Re: Another proposal for DAX fault locking

From: Jan Kara
Date: Thu Feb 11 2016 - 05:43:03 EST

On Wed 10-02-16 12:08:12, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 2:32 AM, Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I like the fact that this makes the locking explicit and
> >> straightforward rather than something more tricky. Can we make the
> >> hashfn pfn based? I'm thinking we could later reuse this as part of
> >> the solution for eliminating the need to allocate struct page, and we
> >> don't have the 'mapping' available in all paths...
> >
> > So Mel originally suggested to use pfn for hashing as well. My concern with
> > using pfn is that e.g. if you want to fill a hole, you don't have a pfn to
> > lock. What you really need to protect is a logical offset in the file to
> > serialize allocation of underlying blocks, its mapping into page tables,
> > and flushing the blocks out of caches. So using inode/mapping and offset
> > for the hashing is easier (it isn't obvious to me we can fix hole filling
> > races with pfn-based locking).
> >
> > I'm not sure for which other purposes you'd like to use this lock and
> > whether propagating file+offset to those call sites would make sense or
> > not. struct page has the advantage that block mapping information is only
> > attached to it, so when filling a hole, we can just allocate some page,
> > attach it to the radix tree, use page lock for synchronization, and allocate
> > blocks only after that. With pfns we cannot do this...
>
> Right, I am thinking of the direct-I/O path's use of the page lock and
> the occasions where it relies on page->mapping lookups.

Well, but the main problem with direct IO is that it takes page *reference*
via get_user_pages(). So that's something different from page lock. Maybe
the new lock could be abused to provide necessary exclusion for direct IO
use as well but that would need deep thinking... So far it seems
problematic to me.

> Given we already have support for dynamically allocating struct page I
> don't think we need to have a "pfn to lock" lookup in the initial
> implementation of this locking scheme.

Agreed.

Honza
--