Re: computing drop-able caches

From: Daniel Walker
Date: Wed Feb 10 2016 - 14:11:33 EST

On 02/10/2016 10:13 AM, Dave Hansen wrote:
On 02/10/2016 10:04 AM, Daniel Walker wrote:
[Linux_0:/]$ echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
[Linux_0:/]$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 3977836 kB
MemFree: 1095012 kB
MemAvailable: 1434148 kB
I suspect MemAvailable takes into account more than just the droppable
caches. For instance, reclaimable slab is included, but I don't think
drop_caches drops that part.
There's a bit for page cache and a bit for slab, see:

https://kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt

Ok, then this looks like a defect then. I would think MemAvailable would always be smaller then MemFree (after echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches).. Unless there is something else be accounted for that we aren't aware of.

Daniel