Re: [git pull] vfs.git - including i_mutex wrappers

From: Al Viro
Date: Sat Jan 23 2016 - 18:38:09 EST

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 11:09:44PM +0000, Al Viro wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 09:44:35AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I'm not opposed to making such a locking change - I'm more
> > concerned about the fact I'm finding out about plans for such a
> > fundamental locking change from a pull request on the last day of a
> > merge window....
>
> Look at the commit message (*and* pull request posting) of an earlier vfs.git
> pull request in the beginning of this window. Or into the thread back in
> May when it had been first proposed (and pretty much the same patch had been
> generated and posted by Linus). Changes needed for parallel ->lookup() had
> been discussed; it was a side branch of one of the RCU symlink threads and
> ISTR your own postings in it.

See http://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/msg2160034.html for the former (Jan 12,
two days into this window) and e.g. https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/5/16/297 for
the latter. And yes, you had been Cc'd on that thread back in May, including
the posting in question - even posted in other branches of that thread, both
before and after...