Re: [BUG REPORT] ktime_get_ts64 causes Hard Lockup

From: Jeff Merkey
Date: Thu Jan 21 2016 - 03:18:57 EST

On 1/21/16, Jeff Merkey <linux.mdb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok, here's what I found after several hours of debugging and reviewing
> this subsystem:
>
> This subsystem plays is pretty loose in doing its math on 64 bit
> registers. I traced through ktime_get_ts64 hundreds of times and
> sampled data running through it and from what I saw, just normal
> operations comes dangerously close to causing the RAX register to
> wrap. If the delta gets too big it does wrap and I observed it
> happening with the debugger tracing through the code. It wraps
> because of a sar instruction generated from the inline macros.
>
> The wrap happens in this inline function.
>
> static inline s64 timekeeping_get_ns(struct tk_read_base *tkr)
> {
> cycle_t delta;
> s64 nsec;
>
> delta = timekeeping_get_delta(tkr);
>
> nsec = delta * tkr->mult + tkr->xtime_nsec;
> nsec >>= tkr->shift; << wrap caused here
>
> /* If arch requires, add in get_arch_timeoffset() */
> return nsec + arch_gettimeoffset();
> }
>
> You only have 64 bits of register and the numbers being calculated
> here are big. By way of example, I observed the following during
> normal operations:
>
> delta (RAX) | tkr->mult (RDX)
>
> 0x157876 0x65ee27
> 0xf1855 0x65f158
> 0x16cf05 0x65f408
> 303bc3 0x65f154
>
> When this bug occurs different story.
>
> delta (RAX) | tkr->mult (RDX)
>
> 0x243283994b8 0x65233
>
> So it goes like this:
>
> nsec = delta * tkr->mult + tkr->xtime_nsec;
> 0x243283994b8 * 0x65233
> imul rax,rdx = 0xE6A2Ce1f1ea690a8
>
> nsec >>= tkr->shift; << wrap caused here
> sar rax,cl = 0xFFFFFFE6BFB3B7C3
>
> the sar instruction doesn't just shift, it backfills the signedness of
> the value, so this instruction is not doing what the C code is asking
> it to do. I am guessing that somewhere in this mass of macros,
> something may have gotten declared wrong or incomplete (declared
> signed ?).
>
> The assembler output for this section that calls the macro to
> calculate nsecs shows the sar instruction:
>
> delta = timekeeping_get_delta(tkr);
>
> nsec = delta * tkr->mult + tkr->xtime_nsec;
> 29b: 48 0f af c2 imul %rdx,%rax
> 29f: 48 03 05 00 00 00 00 add 0x0(%rip),%rax # 2a6
> <ktime_get_ts64+0xc6>
> nsec >>= tkr->shift;
> 2a6: 48 d3 f8 sar %cl,%rax
>

> There is another problem with the tkr->read returning an unchanging,
> unclearable number when this bug occurs for the delta value. I
> appears for whatever reason the clock has gone to sleep or gone away
> and is no longer updating its counters.
>
> static inline cycle_t timekeeping_get_delta(struct tk_read_base *tkr)
> {
> cycle_t cycle_now, delta;
>
> /* read clocksource */
> cycle_now = tkr->read(tkr->clock); << returns the same value after
> this bug happens

> [...]

s64 = signed 64. right in the code. wow.

The iter_div64 functions all assume unsigned values, so this needs to
be patched. Can't use signed for shifting to a value that will be
interpreted as unsigned by the system math. Just makes a huge number
that wraps. This patch is a one-liner after all.

:-)

Jeff