Re: [RFC/PATCHSET 00/17] perf tools: Add support for hierachy view (v2)

From: Taeung Song
Date: Wed Jan 20 2016 - 23:58:53 EST

Hi, Namhyung

On 01/21/2016 01:17 PM, Namhyung Kim wrote:
Hi Taeung,

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 01:34:57AM +0900, Taeung Song wrote:
On 01/21/2016 12:08 AM, Namhyung Kim wrote:
On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 04:49:29PM +0900, Taeung Song wrote:
On 01/20/2016 09:34 AM, Namhyung Kim wrote:
On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 05:59:41PM -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
Ok, tested, this is really nice, I think it should be the default, from
where to drill down, we could have a '--no-hierarchy', Ingo?

Yeah, we already have --no-hierarchy (as a side effect of having
--hierarchy) but I don't want to change the default now since existing
users will complain. Now we have 'tips' in the perf report browser,
maybe it's enough to add a line to suggest to use it (and it's already
done by this patchset). I remember the time we changed default for
'--children' and many people complained about it.

We maybe change the default later but I think it's better to have some
time to people can play with it and find it useful. :) And, as always,
we can have a config option to control the default.

If adding this config option,
can this be included in 'hist' section ?
If it isn't, 'report' and 'top' section ?
i.e.

[report]
hierarchy = true
[top]
hierarchy = false

Either is fine. But as we already have report.children and
top.children, I'd follow the convention. Also I think we should set
priority of the two configs - children and hierarchy. IMHO hierarchy
should be considered first.

Or maybe we could have 'report.output-default' being one of
'hierarchy', 'children', or 'normal'. This way we can set the default
behavior easily including possible future changes.

Oh, IMHO I think the latter is better than the former.
If using 'report.output-default' instead of 'report.children'
and 'report.hierarchy' etc integrating the configs,
it seems to be tidy.

OK

Whatever this config variables will be set as,
after this patchset are merged I'll ask about this configs, again.

I'll add you in the CC list wrt config changes.

Thank you!
Taeung