Re: [RFC/PATCHSET 00/17] perf tools: Add support for hierachy view (v2)

From: Namhyung Kim
Date: Wed Jan 20 2016 - 10:09:24 EST

Hi Taeung,

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 04:49:29PM +0900, Taeung Song wrote:

> On 01/20/2016 09:34 AM, Namhyung Kim wrote:

> >>Ok, tested, this is really nice, I think it should be the default, from
> >>where to drill down, we could have a '--no-hierarchy', Ingo?
> >
> >Yeah, we already have --no-hierarchy (as a side effect of having
> >--hierarchy) but I don't want to change the default now since existing
> >users will complain. Now we have 'tips' in the perf report browser,
> >maybe it's enough to add a line to suggest to use it (and it's already
> >done by this patchset). I remember the time we changed default for
> >'--children' and many people complained about it.
> >
> >We maybe change the default later but I think it's better to have some
> >time to people can play with it and find it useful. :) And, as always,
> >we can have a config option to control the default.
>
> If adding this config option,
> can this be included in 'hist' section ?
> If it isn't, 'report' and 'top' section ?
> i.e.
>
> [report]
> hierarchy = true
> [top]
> hierarchy = false

Either is fine. But as we already have report.children and
top.children, I'd follow the convention. Also I think we should set
priority of the two configs - children and hierarchy. IMHO hierarchy
should be considered first.

Or maybe we could have 'report.output-default' being one of
'hierarchy', 'children', or 'normal'. This way we can set the default
behavior easily including possible future changes.

Thanks,
Namhyung