Re: sched-freq locking

From: Steve Muckle
Date: Wed Jan 20 2016 - 09:50:36 EST

On 01/20/2016 04:18 AM, Juri Lelli wrote:
> I fear that caching could break thermal. If everybody was already using
> sched-freq interface to control frequency this won't probably be a
> problem, but we are not yet there :(. So, IIUC by caching policy->max,
> for example, we might affect what thermal expects from cpufreq.

I think we could probably just access policy->max without rwsem, as long
as we ensure policy is valid. Cpufreq will take care to cap a frequency
request to an upper limit put in by thermal anyway so I don't think it's
a problematic race. But I haven't spent much time thinking about it.

>> Done (added linux-pm, PeterZ and Rafael as well).
>>

> This discussion is pretty interesting, yes. I'm a bit afraid people
> bumped into this might have troubles understanding context, though.
> And I'm not sure how to give them that context; maybe start a new thread
> summarizing what has been discussed so far?

Yeah, that occurred to me as well. I wasn't sure whether to restart the
thread or put in the locking I had in mind and just send it with the
next schedfreq RFC series, which should be in the next few weeks. I was
going to do the latter but here is a recap of the topic from my side:

Currently schedfreq has to go through two stages of aggregation. The
first is aggregating the capacity request votes from the different sched
classes within a CPU. The second is aggregating the capacity request
votes from the CPUs within a frequency domain. I'm looking to solve the
locking issues with both of these stages as well as those with calling
into cpufreq in the fast path.

For the first stage, currently we assume that the rq lock is held. This
is the case for the existing calls into schedfreq (the load balancer
required a minor change). There are a few more hooks that need to go
into migration paths in core.c which will be slightly more painful, but
they are IMO doable.

For the second stage I believe an internal schedfreq spinlock is
required, for one thing to protect against competing updates within the
same frequency domain from different CPUs, but also so that we can
guarantee the cpufreq policy is valid, which can be done if the
governor_start/stop callbacks take the spinlock as well.

As for accessing various things in cpufreq->policy and trying to take
rwsem in the fast path, we should be able to either cache some of the
items in the governor_start() path, eliminate the references, or access
them without locking rwsem (as long as we know the policy is valid,
which we do by taking the spinlock in governor_start()). Here are the
things we currently reference in the schedfreq set capacity hook and my
thoughts on each of them:

policy->governor: this is currently tested to see if schedfreq is
enabled, but this can be tracked internally to schedfreq and set in the
governor_start/stop callbacks

policy->governor_data: used to access schedfreq's data for the policy,
could be changed to an internal schedfreq percpu pointer

policy->cpus, policy->freq_table: these can be cached internally to
schedfreq on governor_start/stop

policy->max: as mentioned above I *think* we could get away with
accessing this without locking rwsem as discussed above

policy->transition_ongoing: this isn't strictly required as schedfreq
could track internally whether it has a transition outstanding, but we
should also be okay to look at this without policy->rwsem since
schedfreq is the only one queuing transitions, again assuming we take
care to ensure policy is valid as above

Finally when actually requesting a frequency change in the fast path, we
can trylock policy->rwsem and fall back to the slow path (kthread) if
that fails.

thanks,
Steve