Re: [RFC] CONFIG_GENERIC_BOOTABLE_CONFIG=y

From: Austin S. Hemmelgarn
Date: Tue Jan 19 2016 - 12:53:00 EST

On 2016-01-19 12:22, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 2:30 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So it should be something like:

config GENERIC_BOOTABLE_CONFIG
bool "Enable kernel options that are needed to boot typical Linux distributions"
default y

(I removed the 'SANE' naming as disabling this option is obviously not 'insane'.)

I think we should just make it distro-specific rather than claiming it
is generic (and inevitably failing).

So we could have a config option for SYSTEMD, which selects stuff
systemd wants, and then distros that use systemd can select that etc.

It shouldn't be about just bootability either. Some of the networking
options end up being security-critical (ie your firewall might not
work if you don't have the right options enabled, leaving you wide
open after you boot).
It might be worth looking at Gentoo's kernel patches, they've had one for a while now (I think roughly a year and a half) that does pretty much this, you get options for each of their officially supported init systems (OpenRC, and SystemD, although the systemd option is not anywhere near as complete as what was proposed here), one for portage (which needs some specific namespace stuff for sandboxing builds), and I think one for udev. Theirs however uses depends instead of selects, but I think that fits a bit better (If I tell the config to make sure I can boot using a particular init system, I expect it to not let me change things that would prevent me from booting using that init system).