Re: [git pull] vfs.git regression fix

From: Al Viro
Date: Sat Jan 16 2016 - 08:45:07 EST

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 01:08:44PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 1:00 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Buggy scripts, actually. The thing that generates them takes a branch
> > name as argument; turns out that it (pretty much by accident) treats the
> > missing argument as HEAD. Which tends to give reasonable diffstat and
> > shortlog, so I hadn't spotted the missing check until now.
>
> You could try "git request-pull". It _used_ to have somewhat similar
> issues, especially when the local branch had not made it to the remote
> point yet, but it should be good now. It actually warns if the remote
> name you give doesn't contain what the local branch contanis etc.

Having checked how git request-pull reacts to missing branch argument...
Very similar bug there - it gives stats for HEAD and URI with no branch
name. Might've been fixed in later versions (it's 2.1.4 here - debian-stable)

FWIW, the main inconvenience with git request-pull is that it still needs
s/gitolite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:/git:\/\/git.kernel.org/ postprocessing. It mimics
the git push, but the remote you are pushing to probably won't be usable for
pulling by others. Looks like it would be useful to have something like
pull_url = git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git
to go with
url = gitolite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git
in .git/config, settable by something in git remote. OTOH, it's possible to
emulate by setting an extra remote and using git push vfs <...> for pushes,
while doing git request-pull origin vfs-pull <...> for pull requests...