Re: x86/microcode update on systems without INITRD

From: Thomas Voegtle
Date: Fri Jan 08 2016 - 04:34:19 EST

On Thu, 7 Jan 2016, Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:

On 2016.01.07 at 13:36 +0100, Thomas Voegtle wrote:
On Thu, 7 Jan 2016, Borislav Petkov wrote:

On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 01:12:16PM +0100, Thomas Voegtle wrote:
I just diffed my 4.3 config with the 4.4 config and saw that the whole
Microcode stuff was silently dropped by a normal "make oldconfig".

Can you send me that 4.3 config please?

Attached. It is a little bit unusual config without modules etc.

But doesn't dropping Microcde stuff in the config happen to anyone who
hasn't INITRD stuff switched on?

Yes. But, as I wrote above, if you simply drop the BLK_DEV_INITRD
dependency, it will work just fine.

That's not an option for me.

For me this is a serious regression, when a normal make oldconfig silently drops a feature which I had switched on before.

Thomas