Re: A blocksize problem about dax and ext4

From: Dave Chinner
Date: Wed Dec 23 2015 - 19:00:28 EST

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 09:18:05PM +0000, Elliott, Robert (Persistent Memory) wrote:

> [...]

I don't really care what is done to ext4 here, but I'm not changing
XFS behaviour. I'm expecting mixed dax/non-dax fileystems to be a
thing, with DAX turned on by an inode flag on disk. Indeed, I see
the mount option going away permanently for XFS, and DAX being
controlled completely from on-disk flags. E.g. ext4 encrypted files
need to turn off DAX, while clear text files can be accessed using
DAX. This should happen completely transparently to the user....

In the situation of block size < page size, there's things we can do
to ensure that XFS will allocate page size aligned/sized extents
(extent size hints FTW). This is the same mechanism that we'll use
to ensure that extents are aligned/sized for reliable huge page
mappings. Hence while DAX /as a global option/ needs to be turned
off for sub-page block size filesystems, there's no reason why we
can't turn DAX on for files that will always allocate blocks
according to DAX constraints.

Cheers,

Dave.
--