Re: [RFC 0/6] mmc: Field Firmware Update

From: Holger Schurig
Date: Tue Dec 22 2015 - 03:15:40 EST

> Sorry for the delay.

No problem, I was busy with many other projects as well.

> My advise right now is to try this out via the mmc ioctl in userspace,
> yes. Although, if you encounter any issues with that approach that it
> might not be reliable, I am open to look into the in-kernel solution
> again.

I managed to update my Kingston eMMCs with a slighly modified patch to
what I submitted. I however didn't bother to submit this, as I saw no
chance of getting it applied.

Also I once asked in the mailing list if there is some user-space
example of how to use the multi-block feature that is supposed to enable
this, but I haven't gotten an answer.

> Regarding mmc-utils as where I recommend you to implement this, I have
> been thinking of moving this tool into the tools directory in the
> kernel.

Sounds good to me.

Remotely related:

Do you know that some google people made their own version of mmc-utils
for ChromeOS? And the don't seem to give much effort in unification of
them? As if the world wouldn't know how hard it can be to re-unite
things again, Google should know from their custom kernels they use on
Android ... Sigh.

So you can

* git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/cjb/mmc-utils.git
* git clone https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/mmc-utils

currently.