Re: Regression: Kernel unbootable since commit 4d6b4e6 - found by bisection

From: Larry Finger
Date: Mon Dec 21 2015 - 17:45:52 EST

On 12/21/2015 03:24 PM, Busch, Keith wrote:
Since early in the 4.3-rcx series, my Dell Latitude D600 with a 32-bit kernel
fails to boot. Unfortunately, I did not discover this until late in the 4.4-rcX
cycle. The symptom is that the kernel echos the "Loading initial ramdisk ..."
message and then hangs.

The problem was bisected to commit 4d6b4es" x86/PCI/ACPI: Use common interface
to support PCI host bridge" from Jiang Liu <jiang.liu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>. The
bisection was tested by reverting the commit in question. I have not yet tried
to analyze the patch to see where it might be going wrong.

Please suggest any trial prints to debug this issue.

Does this fix help you? It is included with the most recent 4.4 rc.

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=727ae8be30b428082d3519817f4fb98b712d457d

Yes, that patch does fix my problem even though the commit message says it is needed for legacy AMD platforms. My laptop has a Celeron CPU, but the same considerations must apply.

Thanks,

Larry