Re: 4.4-rc5: ugly warn on: 5 W+X pages found

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Dec 14 2015 - 14:18:46 EST

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 1:07 AM, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I know. But either someone cares, and it should be fixes, or noone
> cares, and the check should be removed.

Someone cares, and it should be scheduled to be fixed for 4.5. The EFI
mapping changes that were required to avoid the warning were much too
big and late to make 4.4.

So for now, don't enable CONFIG_DEBUG_WX for now. Unless you want to
actively debug the EFI mapping changes, that is. Which I heartily
recommend people doing.

(The patches are in Matt Fleming's tree at

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mfleming/efi.git efi-pgtable

and I think they are also merged in the -tip tree for next, but I
haven't double-checked)

Linus