Re: The console log is doubled if earlycon is enabled

From: Masahiro Yamada
Date: Mon Nov 30 2015 - 00:54:57 EST

> On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 07:21:06PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> If I add "earlycon" to the kernel parameter, the log message
>> on the earlycon is also displayed to the regular console.
>> In other words, the same log messages are displayed twice.
>>
>> I noticed this problem on v4.4-rc1.
>> It has not been fixed in the mainline yet, I think.
>>
>> Anybody who has a clue?
>> (I have not done git-bisect yet.)
>
> Can you do 'git bisect'?

The same problem happened on v4.3.
(I think I just did not notice the problem before.)

So, the bad commit is not in the last merge window.

I also noticed the double-log happens depending on
how the console is specified.

[1] Good case: both regular console and earlycon are specified via bootargs.

chosen {
bootargs = "console=ttyS0,115200 earlycon=uniphier,mmio32,0x54006800";
};

[2] Bad case: regular console is given by stdout-path and earlycon is specified
with parameters in bootargs.

chosen {
bootargs = "earlycon=uniphier,mmio32,0x54006800";
stdout-path = "serial0:115200n8";
};

The early boot log is doubled.

[3] Bad case: regular console is given by stdout-path and
earlycon is given without parameters in bootargs

chosen {
bootargs = "earlycon";
stdout-path = "serial0:115200n8";
};

The early boot log is doubled.

According to the experiment results,
it looks like earlycon does not get along with stdout-path.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada