Re: Recurring Oops in link_path_walk()

From: Al Viro
Date: Fri Nov 20 2015 - 16:17:54 EST

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 12:58:40PM -0600, Scott Wood wrote:

> > Looks like garbage in dentry->d_inode, assuming that reconstruction of
> > the mapping of line numbers to addresses is correct... Not sure it is,
> > though; what's more, just how does LR manage to point to the insn right
> > after the call of dput(), of all things?
>
> When "bl dput" is executed, LR gets set to the instruction after the bl.
> After dput returns, LR still has that value. Presumably the call to mntput
> was skipped via the beq. Nothing else modifies LR between the dput return and
> the faulting address.

OK, AFAICS it's this:
604) do {
605) struct path link = *path;
606) void *cookie;
607)
608) res = follow_link(&link, nd, &cookie);
609) if (res)
610) break;
611) res = walk_component(nd, path, LOOKUP_FOLLOW);
612) put_link(nd, &link, cookie);
and we are seeing assorted garbage as link.dentry->d_inode at put_link()
call. What's really interesting, follow_link() has return 0, which means
that it must have passed through
849) *p = dentry->d_inode->i_op->follow_link(dentry, nd);
with
825) struct dentry *dentry = link->dentry;
upstream of that and link as seen by follow_link() is &link as seen by
caller (nested_symlink()); IOW, at that point link.dentry->d_inode used to
be a valid pointer.

Do you have something resembling a reproducer or a chance to get a crash
dump at that point?