Re: trace: trace_kprobe.c always shows interrupts off

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Tue Nov 17 2015 - 12:23:44 EST

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 16:35:35 +0000 (UTC)
Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I notice that trace_kprobe.c does local_save_flags() within
> __kprobe_trace_func(), which is called (at least on x86) with
> interrupts always disabled. This is then used as interrupt on/off
> state within the recorded event, which is misleading.

Kinda. The kprobe itself has interrupts disabled, so it's only a white
lie.

> I also don't understand why arch/x86/kernel/kprobes/ftrace.c
> pre handler disables interrupts, considering the following
> comment above arch/x86/kernel/kprobes/core.c: kprobe_int3_handler()
>
> * Interrupts are disabled on entry as trap3 is an interrupt gate and they
> * remain disabled throughout this function.

I think you answered your own question. The key piece you may be
missing is that kprobe_ftrace_handler() is not called from a trap, but
from a function traced callback, which does not disable interrupts.

> A struct pt_regs is received by this function, but I don't see
> any way to get the state of irq enable/disable from struct pt_regs
> across architectures.
>
> Any thoughts on how to fix this ?

Create a cross arch: flags = regs_irq_save(regs) function.

-- Steve