Re: Unkillable processes due to PTRACE_TRACEME

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Tue Oct 20 2015 - 06:59:19 EST

On 10/20, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 10:34 AM, Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I am using Ubuntu.
> >> Here strace output from init:
> >>
> >> waitid(P_ALL, 0, {}, WNOHANG|WEXITED|WSTOPPED|WCONTINUED, NULL) = 0
> >>
> >> So what should be fixed here? Kernel of distro init?
> >
> > waitpid(__WALL) indeed joins these processes.

Thanks. And I just checked Fedora 22, it doesn't use __WALL too.

So I think we should change the kernel even if this is not a bug...
I'll send the patch.

> > But __WALL can't be used with waitid and Ubuntu init uses waitid...

Yes, and I never understood why. Perhaps we should change this too.

> #include <pthread.h>
> #include <unistd.h>
> #include <sys/ptrace.h>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <errno.h>
> #include <signal.h>
> #include <sys/types.h>
> #include <sys/wait.h>
>
> void *thr(void *arg) {
> ptrace(PTRACE_TRACEME, 0, 0, 0);
> return 0;
> }
>
> int main() {
> int pid = fork();
> if (pid == 0) {
> pthread_t th;
> pthread_create(&th, 0, thr, 0);
> sleep(1);
> return 0;
> }
> siginfo_t info = {};
> int status = 0;
> int res = waitpid(-1, &status, __WALL);
> printf("pid=%d res=%d errno=%d\n", pid, res, errno);
> res = waitpid(-1, &status, __WALL);
> printf("pid=%d res=%d errno=%d\n", pid, res, errno);
> return 0;
> }
>

> However, I need to wait for a particular child and if I change the
> first waitpid to:
>
> int res = waitpid(pid, &status, __WALL);
>
> then it does not terminate.
> So how can I wait for such child process?

You can't. This is one of historical oddities. You need to reap the
traced sub-thread first. And PTRACE_DETACH doesn't work.

Oleg.