Re: [RFC v3 0/9] Additional kmsg devices

From: Richard Weinberger
Date: Mon Oct 19 2015 - 09:26:23 EST

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Paul Osmialowski
> Dear All,
>
> This is the third iteration of Marcin Niesluchowski's serie of patches
> extending kmsg interface with ability to dynamically create (and destroy)
> kmsg-like devices which can be used by userspace for logging.
>
> In this iteration, following Joe Perches's suggestion, I've extracted
> kmsg related functions from printk.c to a new file, kmsg.c.
>
> Best regards,
> Paul
>
> Marcin Niesluchowski (7):
> printk: add one function for storing log in proper format
> kmsg: introduce additional kmsg devices support
> kmsg: add additional buffers support to memory class
> kmsg: add function for adding and deleting additional buffers
> kmsg: add ioctl for adding and deleting kmsg* devices
> kmsg: add ioctl for kmsg* devices operating on buffers
> kmsg: add predefined _PID, _TID, _COMM keywords to kmsg* log dict
>
> Paul Osmialowski (2):
> printk: extract kmsg-related routines from printk.c to kmsg.c
> kmsg: selftests

Not CC'ing critical voices it not very nice. 8-)

As I replied to v1 of this series, IHMO we should not encourage
userspace tools to use kmsg as their poor-man's syslog.
Everything what this series does in kernel space can also be done
in userspace.

Just my two cents.

--
Thanks,