Re: SoCFPGA ethernet broken

From: Dinh Nguyen
Date: Mon Oct 19 2015 - 06:58:02 EST

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015, Dinh Nguyen wrote:

+CC Giuseppe Cavallaro
+CC STi and Rockchip Maintainers

This is approaching beyond my breadth of knowledge on this subject, so I just
wanted to get some further insight.

> > > The above code seems to have fixed the issue.
> >
> > What i don't like about this is that it allows you to put these
> > properties in the mdio device node. These are phy properties, not mdio
> > properties....

AFAICT, the stmmac driver is allowing for the phy node to be part of the mdio.
In the function, stmmac_init_phy(), there is a separate check of a standalone
phy_node, and the case where the phy is part of the mdio.

commit "8b63ec1837fa phylib: Make PHYs children of their MDIO bus, not
the bus' parent." is now now placing a hard requirement that the phy must be
in a separate node. For now, this is breaking SoCFPGA, but I think it may also
impact Rockchip and STi?

> > If phydev->attached_dev->dev->of_node works, that would be my
> > preference.

BR,
Dinh