Re: [4.2] commit d59cfc09c32 (sched, cgroup: replace signal_struct->group_rwsem with a global percpu_rwsem) causes regression for libvirt/kvm

From: Christian Borntraeger
Date: Tue Sep 15 2015 - 09:36:45 EST

Am 15.09.2015 um 15:05 schrieb Peter Zijlstra:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 02:05:14PM +0200, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
>> Tejun,
>>

>> commit d59cfc09c32a2ae31f1c3bc2983a0cd79afb3f14 (sched, cgroup: replace
>> signal_struct->group_rwsem with a global percpu_rwsem) causes some noticably
>> hickups when starting several kvm guests (which libvirt will move into cgroups
>> - each vcpu thread and each i/o thread)
>> When you now start lots of guests in parallel on a bigger system (32CPUs with
>> 2way smt in my case) the system is so busy that systemd runs into several timeouts
>> like "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did
>> not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply
>> timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."
>>
>> The problem seems to be that the newly used percpu_rwsem does a
>> rcu_synchronize_sched_expedited for all write downs/ups.
>
> Can you try:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulmck/linux-rcu.git dev.2015.09.11ab

yes, dev.2015.09.11a seems to help, thanks. Getting rid of the expedited hammer was
really helpful - I guess.

> those include Oleg's rework of the percpu rwsem which should hopefully
> improve things somewhat.
>
> But yes, pounding a global lock on a big machine will always suck.

By hacking out the fast path I actually degraded percpu rwsem to a real global lock, but
things were still a lot faster.
I am wondering why the old code behaved in such fatal ways. Is there some interaction
between waiting for a reschedule in the synchronize_sched writer and some fork code
actually waiting for the read side to get the lock together with some rescheduling going
on waiting for a lock that fork holds? lockdep does not give me an hints so I have no clue :-(

Christian