Re: [RFC v5 0/3] mm: make swapin readahead to gain more thp performance

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Sep 14 2015 - 17:41:13 EST

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 22:31:42 +0300 Ebru Akagunduz <ebru.akagunduz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This patch series makes swapin readahead up to a
> certain number to gain more thp performance and adds
> tracepoint for khugepaged_scan_pmd, collapse_huge_page,
> __collapse_huge_page_isolate.

I'll merge this series for testing. Hopefully Andrea and/or Hugh will
find time for a quality think about the issue before 4.3 comes around.

It would be much better if we didn't have that sysfs knob - make the
control automatic in some fashion.

If we can't think of a way of doing that then at least let's document
max_ptes_swap very carefully. Explain to our users what it does, why
they should care about it, how they should set about determining (ie:
measuring) its effect upon their workloads.