Re: [llvmlinux] percpu | bitmap issue? (Cannot boot on bare metal due to a kernel NULL pointer dereference)

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Mon Sep 14 2015 - 04:54:41 EST

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 09:35:04AM +0200, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> > /me goes back to ignoring LLVM for the time being.

> The issue was reported as LLVM PR #9457 [1] and the bug-history [2] says...
>
> Reported: 2011-03-11 07:27 CST by PaX Team
>
> ...so it is a known and old issue.

> Beyond "fixing" or implementing missing (GCC) features on the LLVM-Clang-side...
> People there have some discussion and ideas on a "workaround" or fix
> it on the Linux-kernel-side.

Barring LLVM implementing the relevant function call attributes, you
could look at either generating the required thunks (as mentioned
earlier as a work-around) or at the very least validating that all
required thunks are present.

> I invite you to join the discussion at LLVMLinux...
> As I know... "YES, you can." Linux x86/x86_64 (assembler) Kung-Fu.
> ( I admit I have not these skillz. )

Its a matter of time for me; I simply do not have enough time as it is
so I have to make choices.