Re: Use (two) different compilers at build-time?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Sep 07 2015 - 16:42:12 EST

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, how do I do that conveniently?

For a single file? Just compile everything with the primary compiler,
and then delete the single object file, and do "make" again.

Use a wrapper around the compiler (and point to that wrapper with the
"to switch compilers from under the make, without the build paths
changing (because otherwise our makefile auto-machinery notices that
flags and command changed).

Use CC (or CROSS_COMPILE) to point at your wrapper.

What we've occasionally wanted to do for compiler bugs is to have
something that can do the above not for single files, but some kind of
file bisection thing (so bisect not in history, but in the list of
files compiled). Sadly I don't think anybody has ever made that work.

Linus