Re: [RFC v1 0/4] iio: new chemical sensor framework and channel types

From: Jonathan Cameron
Date: Sat Sep 05 2015 - 11:55:40 EST

On 05/09/15 09:20, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Matt Ranostay <mranostay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Initial RFC for new chemical sensor framework, IIO_CONCENTRATION,
>> and IIO_RESISTANCE channel types.
>>
>> Important notes:
>> * Not been tested on real hardware yet but that isn't the main RFC reason and
>> once hardware is in hand it will be verified
>> * Reason the IIO_CONCENTRATION type isn't in percent but has modifiers for ppm
>> and ppb is the scale value for the latter would cause a integer overflow
>> using IIO_VAL_FRACTIONAL
Then add a a return type that deals with that issue.
Perhaps IIO_VAL_FRACTIONAL_DIVMILLION or
something like that. Will just do the normal calculation but when outputting
append a load of leading zeros. So val/(val2 * 1000000) = (val/val2) / 1000000
so decimal shift right 6 digits.

> Please add this details also in the commit message introducing
> IIO_CONCENTRATION. Readers
> will faster find commit messages than cover letter.
Indeed, I wouldn't even have read the cover letter (tend to like jumping in the
deep end ;) except that I wondered what Daniel was commenting on!

> Interesting patches Matt! :)
Indeed!