Re: [GIT PULL] bcache revert

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Mon Aug 31 2015 - 16:25:35 EST

On 08/31/2015 02:17 PM, Kent Overstreet wrote:
Really, as long as you think it's ok to commit patches without CCing the mailing
list _or_ the maintainer, then fuck you. I wouldn't do that to you and I don't
know anyone else who would, so as long as that's your attitude about it there's
really nothing to discuss.

I already said that, yes, it should have been posted. But it's not like it
was unreviewed. Or a massive change, by any stretch.

And then you said you'd do it again.

Look, it's about extending a basic courtesy - other people I work with have no
issue with this. Tejun still pings me and lets me know about percpu refcount
changes even though he's taken over as maintainer of that code since almost
after I wrote it. Similarly with most anyone else I've worked with in the kernel
community. I've always put quite a bit of effort into making sure I don't miss
anyone on my CC lists when I was doing work in the block layer that touched all
kinds of code.

Why not you?

Kent, can we cut down on the victim playing? I said it should have been posted, did I not? And usually patches like that ARE always posted, but this beat the series of patches that it was a pre-patch for. Hence it just didn't get posted, and that was a mistake, after a private discussion where it ended up being cherry-picked for inclusion. Even for a trivial patch like this. But it's not the end of the world, it's not like I rewrote your architecture or grand caching design.

And we're still not discussing the motives for why it looked like that in
the first place?

Not terribly interested in doing that after the fact, when you've already
bypassed me and gotten your patch in, and you're still saying you'd do it again.
Sorry, I'm not having the discussion on those terms.

Grow up. We should revert a patch cleaning up macros with returns in them, but you won't really let us in on why?

Unless we can turn this into a REAL (and technical) discussion on why we should revert to the old code, I'm done spending time on this thread.

--
Jens Axboe