Re: [RFC] kthread_create_on_node is failing to honor the node choice

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Fri Jul 10 2015 - 10:27:06 EST

On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 03:12:59PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:44:13 -0500 Nathan Zimmer <nzimmer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In kthread_create_on_node we set_cpus_allowed to cpu_all_mask
> > regardless of what the node is requested.
> > This seems incorrect.
>
> The `node' arg to kthread_create_on_node() refers to which node the
> task_struct and thread_info are allocated from. It doesn't refer to
> the CPUs upon which the thread is executed. See
> kthread_create_info.node and that gruesome task_struct.pref_node_fork
> thing.

That's the initial mistake I made when reviewing Nathan's first path.

> The kthread_create_on_node() kerneldoc explains this, in a confused
> way. It needs a s/-1/NUMA_NO_NODE/.
>
> I'm a bit surprised that kthread_create_on_node() futzes with the new
> thread's policy and cpumask after it has been created. Wouldn't it be
> simpler/faster to have the thread itself set these things while it's
> starting up?

Yeah, which is what Nathan's first patch did that I made a mistake with
initially. It creates a thread, sets the mask then wakes it up which
looks correct.

Your documentation patch looks good to me, I would not have fallen into
the trap if it had been applied.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs