Re: [BUG] Kernel splat when taking CPUs offline

From: Viresh Kumar
Date: Thu Jul 09 2015 - 00:05:12 EST

On 09-07-15, 02:13, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> So the cpufreq driver's ->get() callback returns 0 for the given CPU and
> that's what triggers the WARN_ON(). And it most likely returns 0, because
> its internal data structure for that CPU is not present.
>
> I *guess* that before the above commit policy was NULL in cpufreq_update_policy()
> and we didn't get to the point where ->get() was called.

I am not sure if that behavior should have changed at all.. Earlier we
were clearing per-cpu cpufreq_cpu_data for offline CPUs and so policy
would have been NULL for offline CPUs.

Now that per-cpu variable isn't cleared, but cpufreq_cpu_get() does
check if the CPU is part of policy->cpus or not, i.e. if it is
offline. And so policy should still be NULL for offline CPUs.

I think it might be related to what I chased down yesterday:

@Steven: Can you please give this a try ?

--
viresh