Re: [all better] Re: regression: massive trouble with fpu rework

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Sat Jun 27 2015 - 17:03:15 EST

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> > > BIOS setting "Limit CPUID Maximum" upsets new fpu code mightily.
>
> That BIOS setting is annotated with the helpful text "Disabled for
> Windows XP". It makes box say interesting things during boot, like...
>
> x86/fpu: XSTATE_CPUID missing!
>

> ..or with HEAD, it triggers warning..
>
> if (boot_cpu_data.cpuid_level < XSTATE_CPUID) {
> WARN_ON_FPU(1);
> return;
> }
>
> ..and all kinds of bad juju follows. I have no idea what the thing does
> beyond what I can interpolate from the word 'limit'.

Well, it is supposed to disable CPUID levels >= 0x04. This thing should
*NEVER* be enabled, the last operating system that required it to be enabled
was Windows 98.

Can/do we override that crap during cpu init? If we cannot/don't, maybe
instead of limping along with CPUID crippled, it would be better to either
output a very nasty warning, or outright stop booting [with an appropriate
error message] ?

Henrique Holschuh