Re: [RFC] hotkey for disabling/enabling events in 'perf top' TUI was Re: [GIT PULL 0/8] perf/core improvements and fixes

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Jun 19 2015 - 19:06:05 EST

* Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Em Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 08:27:11AM +0200, Ingo Molnar escreveu:
> > * Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > It is available in both the 'report'/'top' (aka the "hists" browser) and in the
> > > annotate browser, so I'll go with it, and leave CTRL+z alone, then make it it
> > > suspend.
>
> > Sounds good to me!
>
> I'm fixing these issues now and a mildly crazy idea ocurred to me: now we can go
> from 'top' to 'report' and back, but only if we start in 'perf top', but I think
> we could go from 'perf report' to 'perf top' mode too, i.e. start with a
> perf.data file, then enable collecting more samples that would then be added to
> the existing histograms, etc.
>
> Unsure if this would be useful tho ;-) Its just that it may be easy to do and
> would be another step into having it all integrated.

So I think the following would be useful for perf report: if we recorded the
precise command line used, in the perf.data.

So if someone types:

perf record -e cache-misses make -j16 kernel

then we'd have the whole command line in the perf.data:

"perf record -e cache-misses make -j16 kernel"

and if there was a hotkey to take new samples, using the exact same workload.

This is non-trivial though.

Going from 'perf report' to 'perf top' would be intuitive if the 'perf record'
before was 'perf top' alike, for example:

perf record -a sleep 10

or:

perf record -a
<Ctrl-C>

in that case going to 'perf top' is a natural extension of the profiling session.

Thanks,

Ingo