Re: [RFC] perf report: introduce --map-anon-mem for anon-executable-memory symbols parsing

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Jun 19 2015 - 06:42:32 EST

* Wangnan (F) <wangnan0@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2015/6/18 22:01, Hou Pengyang wrote:
> >This patch introduces a --map-anon-mem argument to perf report to deal
> >with anon-executable-memory symbol parsing.
>
> --map-anon-mem is not a good name. The user defined map area list
> introduced in this patch can be used on not only anon mapping but
> also file mapping.

Yeah, so quirky options generally suck and only 0.01% of the users will use it.
It's in a way worse than not having this code, because we'll have to maintain it,
but it won't be used.

Is there a way to auto-detect 'executable anon mappings' (perhaps by generating an
MMAP event with some extra bit set, or a new MMAP event?) so that it's all
seemless?

The user should not be required to know about such details!

Thanks,

Ingo