Re: [REGRESSION] 4.1-rc4: Sound muted after boot

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Thu May 21 2015 - 00:28:35 EST

At Wed, 20 May 2015 16:31:55 +0200,
Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On ThinkPad T520 (Intel Sandybridge) with 4.14-rc4 + two BTRFS patches and
> one Intel P-State debug patch I have no sound output on internal Intel HD
> audio codec.
>
> According to ThinkPad T520 LED with striked-through speaker the loud speaker
> is in disabled state. Also KDEÂs Phonon says a soundcard is missing. In
> alsa-mixer I see nothing as MM for muted. If I press the key next to the LED
> I get a notification on the desktop that loud speaker has been enabled /
> disabled, but the LED still is on for it being disabled.
>
> I do not hear anything in Amarok or with aplay. alsa-mixer sound volumes are
> 100 for master and PCM. I also tried with disabling "Auto-Mute Mod", but
> still no sound.
>
> When I reboot and in BIOS or GRUB press the key then the LED toggles state.
>
> When I reboot into Linux 4.0.1 sound is working fine and loud speaker
> disabled LED is toggled off, so I bet this is a regression 4.1-rc4 compared
> to 4.0.1.

Please run alsa-info.sh at both working and non-working cases (with
old and new kernels), and attach the outputs. Run the script with
--no-upload option.

Also, such a problem is rather the device permissions problem.
Check the device permissions of /dev/snd/* files (also check getfacl
/dev/snd/*, too).

Takashi