Re: [RFD] linux-firmware key arrangement for firmware signing

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Tue May 19 2015 - 18:40:34 EST

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> had developed my goal was to allow customizations by the callers on the key
> requirements. I had this planned out because regulatory.bin used its own simple
> RSA key with no x509 juju magic. I also envisioned it being easier for Kyle for
> instance to use his own PGP key to sign linux-firmware files to start off with
> than some complex x509 thing. Based on discussions with David, Seth, and Kyle
> though it seems we were going to be happy with trusting Kyle's key for regulatory.bin,
> since that will be done Kyle might as well sign all linux-firmware files and folks
> who trust that can use it. If we want to override it should be easy to later.
>
> For now then I'd be happy for us to start off with Kyle's key and
> since I am adding extensions to the firmware_class API to customize
> firmware signing requirements it should be fairly trivial to enable
> device drivers to say they want their own firmware to be signed with
> a specific key if they wanted that. I think that if we want this we
> should evolve to this though as I think the complexity should be
> optional.
>
>> We should be signing something that's semantically equivalent to
>> "This is a valid module: xyz", "This is a valid 'regulatory.bin':
>> xyz", or "This is a valid kexec image: xyz".
>
> Sure.
>
>> 2. Why on earth does the magic signing script reference things like
>> commonName? Please keep X.509 silliness as far from the kernel as
>> possible.
>
> I asked the same thing. I'm hinted that Red Hat originally came up with PGP
> support for module signing and then someone asked for x509 to be used. I was
> not aware of this so originally in my approach for firmware I was trying to
> target regular PGP keys. In my last review of the firmware patches I asked
> to see what folks preferred and it seems that the issue with supporting
> PGP for firmware and PKCS#7 for modules would be that we'd have different
> entry paths to support. That means complexity, etc. Another point raised
> was that we can convert PGP keys to x509 with gpgpsm, so if we really
> needed that we could go about it that way.
>
> I ended up being convinced that the simplicity over sharing code path for both
> module signing and firmware signing with the flexibility to be paranoid and
> using one own's PGP key and doing away with all possible evil-doers certs and
> practices would suffice those who do not even trust their own parents. That is
> of course unless using x509 stuff alone could jeopardize PGP keys... that'd
> be a big problem, of course.
>
>> 3. PKCS#1 v1.5, really? PKCS#1 v1.5 is known to be insecure unless
>> very cafefully validated. For example:
>>
>> https://www.imperialviolet.org/2014/09/26/pkcs1.html
>>
>> Could we please consider using a signature scheme with a security proof?
>
> I'm fine with going with some other alternative, now what do you have in mind?
> I'm in hopes David can chime in here as I'm just relying on what new thing we

RSA-PSS, ECDSA over P-256, or Ed25519. The IRTF CFRG is expected to
publish an RFC for a modern signature scheme any day^Wmonth^Wyear now,
too.

> Ideally we want to have the option to pick and choose or just stick to one
> solution which we decide we'll vet for carefully for now.
>
>> 4. As hashed to death in another thread:
>
> "Hashed to death" is strong for something just discussed yesterday :)
>
>> http://lkml.kernel.org/g/555A88FB.7000809@xxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> I think that the verifier should be a dynamically loadable thing.
>
> Did you just volunteeer?

Not intentionally. It would be easy, though. Hmm.

Also, good point about key purposes. Sigh, more ways that the current
system is complicated and inflexible.

--Andy