Re: Should we automatically generate a module signing key at all?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon May 18 2015 - 12:22:56 EST

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 9:04 AM, David Howells <dhowells@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Should we instead provide a script:
>
> ./scripts/generate-key
>
> That generates a key if run and make it so that the build fails if you turn on
> module signing and there's no key.

That would just be stupid.

I'm not ever applying a patch like that. That would absolutely destroy
the sane "git clean + rebuild" model.

Why the hell would you want to make the sane case that people actually
*use* be harder to use.

Nobody sane bothers with long-term keys. They are inconvenient and less secure.

Put the onus on making it inconvenient on those people who actually
have special keys, not on normal people.

Linus