Re: [tip:x86/asm] x86: Pack function addresses tightly as well

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun May 17 2015 - 03:30:51 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The median function size is around 1 cacheline (64-byte one), ~80%
> fitting into two cachelines, with a big peak for very small
> functions that make up something like 20% of all functions [...]

Correction:

32% of kernel functions fit into a single cacheline,
55% fit into two cachelines,
70% into three cachelines,
76% into four cachelines

so the tail is longer than my quick read of the graph suggested.

OTOH, probability of use is biased towards smaller functions: we tend
to use smaller, facility functions more frequently.

Thanks,

Ingo