Re: [RFC kgr on klp 0/9] kGraft on the top of KLP

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Tue May 12 2015 - 05:45:28 EST

On Tue, 5 May 2015, Josh Poimboeuf wrote:

> > Agreed ... under the condition that it can be made really 100% reliable
> > *and* we'd be reasonably sure that we will be able to realistically
> > achieve the same goal on other architectures as well. Have you even
> > started exploring that space, please?
>
> Yes. As I postulated before [1], there are two obstacles to achieving
> reliable frame pointer stack traces: 1) missing frame pointer logic and
> 2) exceptions. If either 1 or 2 was involved in the creation of any of
> the frames on the stack, some frame pointers might be missing, and one
> or more frames could be skipped by the stack walker.
>
> The first obstacle can be overcome and enforced at compile time using
> stackvalidate [1].
>
> The second obstacle can be overcome at run time with a future RFC:
> something like a save_stack_trace_tsk_validate() function which does
> some validations while it walks the stack. It can return an error if it
> detects an exception frame.
>
> (It can also do some sanity checks like ensuring that it walks all the
> way to the bottom of the stack and that each frame has a valid ktext
> address. I also would propose a CONFIG_DEBUG_VALIDATE_STACK option
> which tries to validate the stack on every call to schedule.)
>
> Then we can have the hybrid consistency model rely on
> save_stack_trace_tsk_validate(). If the stack is deemed unsafe, we can
> fall back to retrying later, or to the kGraft mode of user mode barrier
> patching.
>
> Eventually I want to try to make *all* stacks reliable, even those with
> exception frames. That would involve compile and run time validations
> of DWARF data, and ensuring that DWARF and frame pointers are consistent
> with each other. But those are general improvements which aren't
> prerequisites for the hybrid model.
>
> [1] http://lkml.kernel.org/r/cover.1430770553.git.jpoimboe@xxxxxxxxxx

Yup, I understand what is the goal here (and don't get me wrong, I am of
course all for making frame pointer based stack traces reliable). The
question I had was -- your patchset is now very x86-centric. If we are
going to proceed with the hybrid patching model, we'd need to be able to
extend to other architectures as easily as possible.

I currently haven't yet tried to explore how difficult would it be to
extend your aproach to other archs. Have you?

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs