Re: Hardware spec prevents optimal performance in device driver

From: Mason
Date: Sun May 10 2015 - 12:46:34 EST

On 10/05/2015 12:29, Måns Rullgård wrote:

> Mason writes:

>>> If the last statement is correct then your performance is probably always
>>> going to suck unless there is additional invisible queueing beyond the
>>> visible FIFO.
>>
>> Do you agree with my assessment that the current semantics for
>> TX_READY lead to a race condition, unless we limit ourselves
>> to a single (atomic) write between interrupts?
>
> No. To get best throughput, you can simply busy-wait until TX_DEPTH
> indicates the FIFO is almost empty, then write a few words, but no more
> than you know fit in the FIFO. Repeat until all data has been written.
> Use the IRQ only to signal completion of the entire packet.

Would you fill the FIFO with TX_READY disabled?
or with all interrupts masked?

I will show with pseudo-code where (I think) the race condition
breaks the algorithm you suggest. (When using IRQs, not busy wait.)

> If the transmit rate is low, you can save some CPU time by filling the
> FIFO, then sleeping until it should be almost empty, fill again, etc.

For one data point, the test app I have sets the tx rate to 128 kbps.
Thus, 1 ms to transmit an entire queue. CPU runs at 100-1000 MHz
depending on the mood of cpufreq.

> Whether busy-waiting or sleeping, this approach keeps the data flowing
> as fast as possible.
>
> With the hardware you describe, there is unfortunately a trade-off
> between throughput and CPU efficiency. You'll have to decide which is
> more important to you.

I can ask the hardware designer to change the behavior for the next
iteration of the SoC.

Regards.