Re: Regression: Requiring CAP_SYS_ADMIN for /proc/<pid>/pagemap causes application-level breakage

From: Mark Williamson
Date: Wed Apr 29 2015 - 15:23:11 EST

Hi again,

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Mark Williamson
<mwilliamson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We've been investigating further and found a snag with the PFN-hiding
> approach discussed last week - looks like it won't be enough on all
> the architectures we support. Our product runs on x86_32, x86_64 and
> ARM. For now, it looks like soft-dirty is only available on x86_64.
> A patch that simply zeros out the physical addresses in
> /proc/PID/pagemap will therefore help us on x86_64 but we'll still
> have problems on other platforms[1].

Another thought occurs - although we *strictly* want to know "what got
written to", we might be able to get by with a superset of that, such
as "what got accessed, read or write"...

Thus, we could investigate clearing the Referenced bit (which I
understand we can do through /proc/PID/clear_refs) and then just treat
any subsequently-referenced pages as being potentially modified. It's
not ideal but it might be enough to get by...

I still feel a little nervous with this, since we support distros
(e.g. RHEL5) that are too old to have clear_refs. Still, it would
result in less disruption to the format of pagemap.

Thanks,
Mark