Re: xfs: does mkfs.xfs require fancy switches to get decent performance? (was Tux3 Report: How fast can we fsync?)

From: Austin S Hemmelgarn
Date: Wed Apr 29 2015 - 15:20:15 EST

On 2015-04-29 15:05, Mike Galbraith wrote:
Here's something that _might_ interest xfs folks.

cd git (source repository of git itself)
make clean
echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
time make -j8 test

ext4 2m20.721s
xfs 6m41.887s <-- ick
btrfs 1m32.038s
tux3 1m30.262s

Testing by Aunt Tilly: mkfs, no fancy switches, mount the thing, test.

Are defaults for mkfs.xfs such that nobody sane uses them, or does xfs
really hate whatever git selftests are doing this much?

-Mike

I've been using the defaults for it and have been perfectly happy, although I do use a few non-default mount options (like noatime and noquota). It may just be a factor of what exactly the tests are doing. Based on my experience, xfs _is_ better performance wise with a few large files instead of a lot of small ones when used with the default mkfs options. Of course, my uses for it are more focused on stability and reliability than performance (my primary use for XFS is /boot, and I use BTRFS for pretty much everything else).