Re: PCID and TLB flushes (was: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Apr 28 2015 - 18:56:40 EST

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Kirill A. Shutemov
<kirill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I talked with Dave about implementing PCID and he thinks that it will be
> net loss.

So I'm told that Suresh Siddha actually had a patch inside Intel to
use PCID (back when he worked for Intel, I think he left), and that it
was a wash in their testing.

I never saw the patch, and it might be interesting to try it again,
but there is some reason to believe that it doesn't make much of a
difference. Unlike most of the traditional RISC machines that got big
speedups, Intel TLB walking is so good that it likely isn't nearly as
noticeable, and it likely *does* result in more IPI's etc. Possibly
not a lot more, but if the win isn't big...

So I don't want to discourage you, because I'd love to see what the
patch looks like and if we can find cases where it matters, but I do
want to set expectations right. It's unlikely to be a big issue.

Linus