Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Mon Apr 27 2015 - 08:47:09 EST

On Wed 22-04-15 12:36:12, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2015 7:57 AM, "Michal Hocko" <mhocko@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I'm still missing something here, I think. At the time of pool
> > > creation, the kernel calls shmem_file_setup in the context of the
> > > untrusted user. Then, when a privileged daemon broadcasts, the kernel
> > > calls vfs_iter_write or similar, thus allocating the page, right? I
> > > don't see why the page would be allocated early or why vfs_iter_write
> > > and the associated shmem code would care what memcg created the shmem
> > > file -- all of that code seems to use current's memcg on brief
> > > inspection.
> >
> > Yes it is the current task on the first charge or the original memcg on
> > the swap in. But my understanding from the above, and I haven't read the
> > code yet, is that the untrusted userspace is only reader from the buffer
> > and isn't allowed to modify the buffer.
> >
> > > Bear in mind that the bad guy gets to use madvise, etc to mess around
> > > with the page cache state.
> >
> > How can an untrusted user play with shmem when it is read-only?
> > shmem_file_setup shouls create an unlinked file so no process can access
> > it via tmpfs AFAIU and potentially fault the memory before the producent
> > will fill it up (thus fault in in the trusted context). I have no idea
> > how the receiver gets to the buffer though.
> >

> The receiver gets to mmap the buffer. I'm not sure what protection they get.

OK, so I've checked the code. kdbus_pool_new sets up a shmem file
(unlinked) so not visible externally. The consumer will get it via mmap
on the endpoint file by kdbus_pool_mmap and it refuses VM_WRITE and
clears VM_MAYWRITE. The receiver even doesn't have access to the shmem
file directly.

It is ugly that kdbus_pool_mmap replaces the original vm_file and make
it point to the shmem file. I am not sure whether this is safe all the
time and it would deserve a big fat comment. On the other hand, it seems
some drivers are doing this already (e.g. dma_buf_mmap).

> The thing I'm worried about is that the receiver might deliberately
> avoid faulting in a bunch of pages and instead wait for the producer
> to touch them, causing pages that logically belong to the receiver to
> be charged to the producer instead.

Hmm, now that I am looking into the code it seems you are right. E.g.
kdbus_cmd_send runs in the context of the sender AFAIU. This gets down
to kdbus_pool_slice_copy_iovec which does vfs_iter_write and this
is where we get to charge the memory. AFAIU the terminology all the
receivers will share the same shmem file when mmaping the endpoint.

This, however, doesn't seem to be exploitable to hide memory charges
because the receiver cannot make the buffer writable. A nasty process
with a small memcg limit could still pre-fault the memory before any
writer gets sends a message and slow the whole endpoint traffic. But
that wouldn't be a completely new thing because processes might hammer
on memory even without memcg... It is just that this would be kind of
easier with memcg.
If that is the concern then the buffer should be pre-charged at the time
when it is created.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs